I think I've found a decent outfitter for a Colorado Elk hunt next season. It is with Lost Solar Outfitters who's lead by Gary Stagner. It would be a drop camp setup meaning they ride you in on horseback, setup camp, give advice on hunting strategies, and hull out your harvest.
Colorado has four rifle seasons and is one of the few states with over-the-counter license available tags. Colorado also is home to the biggest elk herd in U.S.. The state is broken down into four regions labeled as Northwest, Northeast, Southwest and Southeast. Northwest has the biggest numbers and the most elk harvested. Lost Solar is in this region. Use the link above to see more about Lost Solar. Be sure to click on photo tab on the website to get an idea of what the hunt would look like.
Each region is sub-divided into units. The unit that sounds best so far to me with Lost Solar is unit 24 which is a 15 mile ride into the White River area of this unit. It is at about 10.000 feet of altitude. We would probably need 10 days to do this. Here's the breakdown:
- 2 days drive out (takes about 24 hours straight drive covering around 1,500 miles)
- 1 day ride out to get to camp
- 5 day hunting
- 1 day back to civilization -
- 1 day drive back to Ohio if you take it straight home (unless you're Kirk Knowlton driving from Texas)
This is the cost breakdown I've estimated so far:
- out-of-state habitat stamp (required) = $300
- out-of-state bull elk tag = $616
- Lost Solar drop camp = $1,800
-------------------------------------- -------------
- approximate total (minus tip and travel) = $2716
My research finds this price to be the absolute minimum for a western elk hunt.
The following section of the Northwest Hunting Guide that tells about the White River area. Our camps will be quite remote according to the outfitter which is a must by what I've been reading for success hunting public hunting lands.
I'm not locked into a single location or outfitter. This is the best option I've found to date. I encourage you to do your own research. There may be better options available.
Other states offer over-the-counter tags for elk.
This map comes from an article dated 2009. I believe Wyoming is now a draw state.
If you want to hunt elk it's not cheap, but is never going to cost less. It's a once in a lifetime experience that will require you be in excellent shape to do. Us older gentlemen should do this hunt soon to be able to handle the stress and altitude. It will be a father-son experience never to be forgotten!
The best Lost Solar camp requires 6 people. We've got enough folks on this list to do it, but being committed to the hunt is the trick. Good outfitters will be filled by the end of January at the LATEST. The earlier we decide the better our chances will be.
I hope this email can get you excited about the hunt! I've tried to put all the information I sifted through for months into one email. I'll set up a blog where we can have a fluid real time discussion for decision making. Call me with any questions.
Good hunting!
Scott



This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete