Click here for online link
You know I love my .257 Weatherby Magnum. It's fast and flat putting the smack down on deer I have shot. This may be what I take, but I'm also considering getting a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Ballistic research is showing me the same characteristics with a bigger bullet. If you can take the recoil, it should drop an elk in its tracks.
One of my favorite gun gurus is Chuck Hawks. He has a website that contains tons of practical information for hunting folk. One part I've used many times is his rifle trajectory table. It helps you setup your rifle so you get maximum benefit from holding straight on your intended target. Here is a condensed version of the table containing rifles I know you guys own or are thinking about getting.
As always, shot placement is most important above all over factors. But with this being said, consider how much you're putting down on this hunt. Do you have the best rifle to take a long range shot? You better practice!


Kirk - do you still want to get a .308 Winchester after looking at this chart? You can do better! Buy from Grabagun.com and you'll pay half of what you're shelling out at your local store too.
ReplyDeletehttp://grabagun.com/weatherby-v-gard-2-300wby-24-syn-bl.html
This is what I am thinking about getting.
Quote from article; "In order to hit a distant target a rifle must be correctly sighted-in, and to accomplish that the shooter must have some working knowledge of the bullet's trajectory. Sighting-in a hunting rifle to hit a certain number of inches high at 100 yards (or 100 meters) maximizes the point blank range of the rifle and cartridge and is superior to zeroing at a fixed distance like 200 yards. This system maximizes the distance in which no "hold over" is necessary. Of course, the actual distance the bullet should hit above the point of aim at 100 yards (or 100 meters, which is about 108 yards) varies with the individual caliber and load."
ReplyDelete