![]() |
| Kodiak Flex Bow Deluxe 8 Person |
I've decided on buying a Kodiak Flex Bow from Competitive Edge Products. I have come to this decision after looking at multiple reviews from Internet forums to YouTube videos. I first tried Craigslist thinking a good used tent would be an option, but found nothing I liked for the right price. I picked the Kodiak Flex Bow for the following reasons:
1 - Four Season Durability
Finding a large tent that could stand up to winter winds and snow was of primary importance. Initially I thought an outfitter high wall tent would be the way to go, but changed my mind. That tent style would be great for Colorado elk in November, but where else would I use it? They are costly and take a lot of space. I want something I can use year round to replace hotels for outdoor trips.
![]() |
| Reviews raved about this tent in all conditions, including snow. |
2 - Easy Set Up
This tent is super easy to assemble in the field. YouTube has multiple videos such as this one, that show how fast and simple it is to put a Kodiak Flex Bow up. Just stake out the base, attach the frame, and lift it up. That's all there is to it.
3 - Nice Size for Many Uses
The 10x14 floor space is pretty big claiming to sleep eight persons. Considering our trip with 6 hunters and all our gear, sleeping 8 guys in this one tent won't work. Since Kirk is bringing another tent with him, this may be enough space. We might possibly want a third one for additional space.
This Kodiak model also can be expanded with an added vestibule.
The 4x7 awning connects to the vestibule to expand living space.
I'm thinking about adding a trap to enclose this area. Perhaps I stove could be placed inside. I will explore cutting the trap to accept a stove pipe. Here is a good video showing this tent's space including the vestibule.
4 - Price
The price for this model is a good middle of the road option. Competitive Edge seemed to have the best price at $554 without vestibule or ground trap ($20 for tarp and $60 for vestibule.)
I can see myself using this tent for any hunting, off-road, or camping trip in the future. I hope it's a good investment. Going to try and get this tent before the hog trip in March and give it a trail run in Texas. Kirk's going to set his tent up too so we get a better idea of what we need for Colorado. He says he's regularly in the dog house with Julie anyway so tent sleeping will be an upgrade.
What do you think? Will the two tents be enough for Colorado hunt? Should someone else buy another? Post your thoughts in the comments section.
I've got lots of saved links to other tents that are possibilities. Let me know if you need/want them.








Another tent that got good reviews and is 1/3 the cost is the Coleman 8 Person Instant Tent.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J955FFW/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
http://www.coleman.com/product/coleman-8-person-instant-tent/2000015607?contextCategory=11020#.VsDYLinH3IJ
I posted question on Amazon asking if it could handle cold weather and replies said yes. It's worth consideration.
it has been my experience with tents when they say it can sleep 8 they are talking about sleeping shoulder to shoulder. which is great if your planning on having an orgy. not so much when your in a hunting camp with a group of men/boys for a week w limited showering. I would most definitely suggest a third tent to keep or store equipment in also we are going to need to consider eating and cooking. in the many books I've read they all suggest you don't cook in the tent your sleeping in or where your hunting clothes are because the elk will smell the bacon and eggs or whatever you had for breakfast. I know that s.y. never believes in washing his hunting clothes (they smell like it too) but you can wash them with out detergent or you can use baking soda to neutralize any oders. more on physical hygene later
ReplyDeletewhat is weight of tent. we might have to pack it in a distance
ReplyDeleteI hope not. It weighs 79 lbs! I thought from previous conversation with Monchelli that we'd be able to roll right up on camp site, but better check. He said there were 2 sites on the ranch, one close to road and other in the middle. Any of the outfitter tents with room inside are not light wieght. If we pack in a ways we should use multiple smaller tents.
DeleteIn the end I choose not to get this tent due to concern about extreme weather events. If we got horrible weather fourth rifle season in November I believe the Cabela's Alaskan tents would handle it better. Read reviews of hunters who had experienced such events and done well with this tent, plus it's a quarter the weight of the Kodiak opening future opportunities.
ReplyDelete