There seems to be several main considerations:
1 - Field dressing choices
2 - Game bags
3 - Backpacks
4 - Transportation home
I found a pretty good article devoted to this subject on Bowhunting.com titled Packing Out Your Trophy. It covers all bases with good information. Take a look and let's discuss the possibilities.
1 - Field Dressing
My plan is to use the Gutless Method for field dressing my elk. We've already had a post on this topic linked here. I like how the hide is used to protect the meat. Kirk wants to keep his hide so will need to use the old fashioned method followed by skinning off the hide.
One point he bought up is the need for gloves. For right or wrong, I've never used gloves. Normally taking off my outer layer and rolling up my sleeves has worked fine for me, but I could see the benefit of longer veterinarian gloves if it's too cold to take off clothes. Kirk says he can get these type of gloves from a local feed store for a decent price. Whether you quarter the animal with the hide on or off you will need game bags to keep the meat in good shape.
![]() |
| Vet gloves may be necessary if you're worried about blood stains. |
2 - Game Bags
From my research there seems for be a couple types and options for game bags. It seems folks have used everything from trash bags and pillow cases to store bought bags designed for packing out meat. Store bought bags come in different sizes based on the size of the animal. I'm going with the 60" Alaska Game Bags from Cabela's or Amazon that come in a pack of four. They can be washed and reused and should be big enough for an elk. Some people say a five bag is good for the tender loins and backstraps, but they can fit into four bags. Bags need to let the meat breath, especial cool, after the harvest. Also are important to keep away insects and dirt from the meat. I read one forum post that said painter's cloth is a good option when sewed together to form a bag. You'll also find canvas bags, but they seem to be used primarily for covering meat has it is packed out by horses. Take your pick, buy all of use need to pack out game bags each day
3 - Backpacks
![]() |
| ALPS Outdoor Commander Freight Frame |
There are a lot of different flavors out there when it comes to backpacks. We will need a pack that has a frame with a shelf to support the weight of an elk quarter. Our outfitter suggested getting the frame only for this purpose, but I think I'll buy a backpack that will carry my gear and pack out the animal both.
The frame shown here can be purchased from Amazon for about $80. For another $30 you get the frame with pockets for your day gear. Another reason I like this style is that it can be use as a rifle rest in the field.
![]() | ||||||
| Rifle rests can be purchased that connect to your pack. |
My plan is to bring either large coolers or deep freeze in back of my pickup. If it's cold enough I'll go with the cooler to save weight and space. Thinking I'll check weather report before we leave and decide from there.
![]() |
| 165 quart cooler available from Amazon. |
I like to butcher my own meat. I see it an important part of the hunt and I want to be part of creating my food. If time permits, I may even do this in camp, but don't expect to be able to do so with six elk tags to fill. In that case I'll finish butchering when I get home. I know Scott L. will do the same. Kirk said he will have his processed locally, probably because he'll be so worn out from the full field dressing, skinning, and packing of his prize. Too bad he doesn't have a son(s) along to help.
![]() |
| Kirk after packing out his last harvest. |
Join the conversation online! Are there other aspects of this process we're forgetting?








One thing that's required is including sex of the animal with the harvest. Since we're hunting bulls, this means his "junk" needs cut out and included on a quarter in addition to the horns.
ReplyDeleteI bought an Alice pack (military w metal frame Viet man era) for $5 at a garage sale a couple years ago. The guy said he was tired of carrying elk out with it. Big compartment I will line w garbage bags. I think using pillow cases is good idea(bigger is better) s.y. might not understand :) I far as dressing you may have to leave a testicle attached to each hind quarter. This is something I read.I will be sending several good books home w s.y. after the pig hunt. They all have had really good ideas and suggestions. I plan on calling land owner with in the week so any questions for him let me know.
ReplyDeleteI bought an Alice pack (military w metal frame Viet man era) for $5 at a garage sale a couple years ago. The guy said he was tired of carrying elk out with it. Big compartment I will line w garbage bags. I think using pillow cases is good idea(bigger is better) s.y. might not understand :) I far as dressing you may have to leave a testicle attached to each hind quarter. This is something I read.I will be sending several good books home w s.y. after the pig hunt. They all have had really good ideas and suggestions. I plan on calling land owner with in the week so any questions for him let me know.
ReplyDelete