Slugs have to be used to be used on the Hagerman National Wildlife Preserve where part of The Hunting Brotherhood is going so I'm back to the shotgun in Texas of all the places! This feral hog hunt is offered only twice a year on March 4-6 and 18-20. Kirk has been nice enough to set this hunt up the hunt by researching and putting in our names in for the tag drawing. Last year everyone that put in for the drawing got to hunt so we're hopeful we will make it
There are over 11,000 acres to hunt in the Hagerman. If things go well this year for the three of us going it may have to become a yearly event!
I'm staying with my Thompson-Center platform for this hunt. I will be switching my 45-70 out for a rifled 20 gauge barrel. The nice thing about this switch is that the DNZ mount and Leupold scope can be transferred, although the Encore platform will need a different forearm for the shotgun. In Ohio I always used 12 gauge shotguns, but the research I did on 20 gauge guns says they are more accurate without the recoil. I don't mind recoil, but I will do about anything for better accuracy! Check out this article on 12 vs 20 gauge slugs for more information.
Slug selection was my next challenge. It's been interesting following slug development over the years as a shotgun hunter in the Buckeye State. We all started with traditional slugs until Foster slugs became available. They had been developed in the 1930s by Karl Foster. The "rifling" or fins do NOT spin the slug as many people think. Their purpose is to allow the slug to squeeze through different shotgun chokes. They are however hallow which made them more accurate, sort of like a badminton bird flies through the air with its heavy front end.
Both of these first two slug types are good only for short range shooting, but I want more distance. My goal with the new TC Encore barrel is to use Sabot slugs in order to greatly improve the range I can shoot.
Sabot slugs are lead-cored, full copper-jacketed or solid copper projectiles supported by a plastic sabot, which is designed to engage the rifling in a rifled shotgun barrel and impart a ballistic spin onto the projectile. Sabots are also used in muzzle loaders.
Here is a great article that tests sabots versus other slug types from both smooth and rifled barrels. The main lessons from the test were sabots in smooth bores are not effective and a waste of money since they cost much more. However sabots in a fully rifled barrel are extremely effective and greatly increase the range of shotgun slugs.
The above table is from Hornady test of their Superperformance slug in 20 gauge. 200 yards is a realistic shot, but there is a heavy financial cost. This type of ammunition runs $15-$20 for a five round box! By the time to sight in your weapon, practice, and go on the hunt, you will have a small fortune invested.
Bottom line, if accuracy is your goal and slugs must be used, sabots are the way to go!
Bottom line, if accuracy is your goal and slugs must be used, sabots are the way to go!






Great info! I remember attempting to sight in one 12 gauge that just didn't like sabots. I probably wasted $30 on expensive ammo and was still hitting all over the paper. I switched to some cheap traditional slugs and was dead on target. I think that shotguns are just like riffles in the sense that each gun is different and you need to find an ammo that works best for your particular setup.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, if you want to make a 200 yard shot with a shotgun, you better find a set up that will shoot sabots, because you are not going to come close to that with a traditional slug.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteReally good info, I didn't know a lot of this history. Good luck in Texas! We'll see how it goes in Lousiana.
ReplyDeleteWish I could go with you guys to Louisiana, just too close and long to the start of my new job. If we're lucky, the brotherhood could end up with 2 good pig hunt locations! What area of the state will you and Calvin be hunting?
ReplyDelete